Thursday, October 6, 2011

I just had the timing belt changed on my car and now the drive belts squeal. Is this the mechanic's fault?

I just took my car to the dealer to have the timing belt replaced - I was planning to do this myself, and bought the belts, but could not find the time. I supplied the timing belt and water pump which I bought from the dealer earlier, and two drive belts that I purchased elsewhere. Two days after the work was done, my car started squealing shortly after power-up. I believe the belts were not installed properly. I took the car back to the dealer and they inspected it for 10 minutes and told me it was likely that the belts I provided were %26quot;old%26quot; and that they would %26quot;work their way in with time%26quot;. Is there any truth to this or am I being scammed?
I just had the timing belt changed on my car and now the drive belts squeal. Is this the mechanic's fault?
try adjusting tensioner pulley on your belt/s. Brand new belts stretch as the days goes by, making the belts loose.
I just had the timing belt changed on my car and now the drive belts squeal. Is this the mechanic's fault?
what kind of car is it? what do you mean by drive belt--are you talking about a serpentine belt? or do you have an old car with separate belts for different accessories? The timing belt isn't something you will be able to see by looking under the hood. Belts sometimes squeal if they are too loose or too tight. Also some belt designs have angled teeth, which are quieter.
Sounds like youre belts have just stretched a tad since they were new and will most likely just need a adjustement. Tighten the belt/s most of the time by adj the alternator. Its not a big deal sounds like they just got worn in. The mechanic hasnt got a clue in my book and i would take it elsewhere to get the belts tightened. the timing belt wont squeal so its most likely the accessory belts. Tighten them up no problem.
if the belts squeal but then stop once you start driving then that means that the person at the dealership did not tighten up the tencheners for the belts so if you have knowledge of doing work like that then just go and tighten them up your self and that should fix your problem
ok first thing you can do is look at belts -are they serpetine or regular v-belts 2- if serpetine belt look to see if there is greese on belts or if rocks are in grooves ,to clean oil or greese off is get 1 can of brake cleaner and while car is running spray belts at pulleys you should here the sqeaks go away but be careful because fan can blow the cleaner up in you face wear goggles.if rocks are in grooves take to professional to remove rock chips from belts [this part is dangerous and should not be done youself] if sqeak dont go away then one of your tensoiner pulleys are bad or altonator ,power steering pump,water pump or ac compressor is going out ,i know you said you got new water pump but in all the cars i've had a very few water pumps were bad but these are only possible senerios ,now if v-belts while car not running push on belts check to see if they are tight by pushing down on belts on the longest part of belt between pulleys there should only be 1/4 or less play in belt ,another thing is make sure belts fit in pulley grooves no part of belt should be above pulley lip-outer edge of pulley but if loose have belts tighten by youself or by someone then sqealing should be gone ,hope this helps you an i know that sqealing is anioying good luck
You got ripped. They just want you to buy their parts and spend some more money for the labor
  • multiple tables
  • ittwit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment