Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Is it manditory to change the timing belt in a '02 Subaru Outback Wagon?

my car has around 89K on it. I hear that the timing belt needs to be changed on the 2.5L Subaru before a certain milage or the engine won't work. Is this true? When is the proper time to do this?
Is it manditory to change the timing belt in a '02 Subaru Outback Wagon?
105,000 miles is the recommended interval. you should do this. if the belt breaks your car will stop running and there could be very expensive damage from the valves hitting the pistons
Is it manditory to change the timing belt in a '02 Subaru Outback Wagon?
not mandatory - you aren't forced to do anything about it. but it is highly recommended. I have an '03 and when I took mine in, I saw where is was 'fraying' (for lack of a better term) a bit, and since I didn't want to have problems that would arise should it break - yes, I had it changed.



regular service is especially important as incorrect timing may result in the pistons and valves colliding and causing extensive engine damage and therefore costly repairs.
The timing belt will eventually need to be replaced, but I don't know the exact mileage suggestion. If you don't replace it, when it dies, you will be stranded on the side of the road. If you're willing to wait for that to happen, go ahead, but I'd replace it if I could afford to.
Like the newer drive belts being used on most Harley Davison's and some import bikes, the timing belts are subject to wear and tear. On my Subaru GL, I was supposed to replace the timing belts every 20,000 miles. I didn't and wound up having to tow, pull the radiator, buy new belts and re-time the whole darned thing. If I had replaced the belts a little sooner, I wouldn't have had to re-time the engine.
Read your owners manual, but around 80,000 miles sounds right. You should check the belt with the engine off to see if there are any cracks or unusually shiny spots.



If the belt breaks, it could cause all kinds of damage, and throw off the timing so much it could leave you stranded somewhere.



Have the tension arm or wheel checked by a mechanic also. A new belt is about $80.00 or more and to have it installed is about $60.00 per hour labor.
Yes you do need to change the belt. Engines used to use timing chains but manufacturers switched to rubber belts. As you know belts fail after time. Since the timing belt drives your valves, if the belt broke you could find your pistons moving upward while your valve was left in the open position due to the broken belt. This would cause bent valves - very costly. I with 89K miles on it I think it is time for a replacement.
On ANY vehicle the timing belt should be changed arount 60,000 miles. These things don't last forever, y'know. Also, With almost 90,000 miles I'd Spring for a water pump change at the same time. It'd be the pits to ruin a new timing belt just to repair a water pump. If you aren't sure about this, ask any mechanic you know. It WILL Be a bit more expensive but worth it in the long run.
there is a recommended mileage for changing the timing belt on most vehicles and it is in the owners manual. It is a recommendation and it can be expensive. It will be less expensive to get it changed than to have it break, do some additional damage, and strand you.
It's only mandatory if you want to keep your car running. 2 of my Subarus have broken timing belts, no car will run if the belt breaks. Considering that the EJ25 (what you have) is the worst engine Subaru has ever made, I'd get them changed right away. Do the headgaskets while you're in there.
I think it is most likely due. Some cars are required at 60,000 to 80,000 miles. If it %26quot;breaks%26quot;, it could lead to more expensive repairs such as replacing bent valves depending how the tolerances are. I would find someone who is familiar with these and have it changed ASAP if it is overdue.
I usually wait to change the belt when it starts squeaking, but that may not be for everyone :p Sorry, that probably wasn't much help.
I dont think that the designers would be retarded enough to do something that will prevent you from using the car, lets say you need to rush your family member to the hospital and your car will not work because it automatically will not start because of the timing belt

No comments:

Post a Comment