Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Help! How do I know if the mechanic actually changed my timing belts and water pump!!!?

The dealer seemed fishy to me...first he said I need to change my waterpump..then he said its not necessary because its not leaking...I hand him change it anyways because it hasn't been changed in awhile...but my question is how do I know if he really changed the waterpump? He also wrote up a list of the drive belts I need changing and I had that done too! I will see him tomorrow and I SPENT 1500 dollars for all this the waterpump, timing belts, all the drive belts, also I had to replace three seals that was leaking oil...so how do I know if the mechanic did a good job replacing all this stuff and if he actually replaced the waterpump..
Help! How do I know if the mechanic actually changed my timing belts and water pump!!!?
Ask them for the old parts. Also most shops have one year warranty on repairs so it would not be in their interest to not perform what they charged you for.
Help! How do I know if the mechanic actually changed my timing belts and water pump!!!?
If it wasn't broken when you brought it in, there is NO way to tell if it has been replaced or not...
in some vehicles u can remove the timing belt cover to see if belt looks new or old. regarding water pump..on some vehicles u could see part of outer water pump. but to answer ur question...water pump being changed or not...u have to remove it. u should have ask the dealer to show ur old parts when u picked up the vehicle. seals..u can't tell, if there was a leak and now no leak it means he changed it...clean the vehicle where oil was coming out and drive for a while and recheck to make sure no oil leaks...drive belts u can see whether its being changed or not...that's easy part.

good luck
they changed them. there are very few shops out there anymore that would even try to get over on people.

with the economy being the way it is, no one can afford to loose any Business. but make sure they show you the old parts. by law, they have to save them for you. if they cannot produce the parts for you, then you can question them on whether the work was done or not. take someone with you to back you up.(the bigger they are, the better)
A large dealership (ie: Toyota/Nissan/Chevy/etc.) is usually fairly trustworthy when it comes to maintenance work. It would be silly for them to not change the timing belt and then have it go out on you in the next 20k miles. The wear would be obvious and the next mechanic would definitely be able to tell, keep your receipt. Ask nicely to see the old timing belt and water pump (act curious as to how much wear/if the parts were worn excessively). Another thing will be that the car should run quieter after a timing belt change. If he did the timing belt, it would be stupid not to do the water pump as it's only about another 15min of work.
The $1500 you spent was mostly on labour charges.The parts were quite cheap.If the garage

done a good job on your car then it won`t be going back to them in the very near future will

it.If the water pump has been replaced it should be shiny if its made from aluminium.

No comments:

Post a Comment