Friday, September 23, 2011

What is the chance that a timing belt will break if it is overdue for changing?

I've been out of work and can't afford to get the work done right now. It was due at 90K and my car is almost at 100K. I need to drive 500 miles next weekend and am considering taking the bus but that's expensive, too. I know what can happen if it does break, but what are the chances of that actually happening? Do the belts usually hold up way past their scheduled replacement date?
What is the chance that a timing belt will break if it is overdue for changing?
Yes, timimg belts usually last much longer than the recommended mileage for change. I recently changed one on an 02 vw jetta with 102,000 miles because of having to replace a failed water pump. VW recommends 105,000 miles for that engine. The belt had no signs of wear or damage and if I not been replacing the water pump which is turned by the timing belt, I would not have replaced it at that time. Some engine have an easily removeable section of cover where you can inspect the belt periodically. Have a trusted mechanic look at it for you%26gt;
What is the chance that a timing belt will break if it is overdue for changing?
Six of one , half dozen of the other.

You feel lucky, punk?

50/50 chance.

It's a shot in the dark.

It's hard to say with any certainty.
Your car can go 180, 000 and chances are, the timing belt will never fail.
you never can tell when they will go. it might hold a month more then again go out today.they won,t give you a warning when they will go, they just go regardless where your at.
Put it this way. I have owned many new cars over my years that i kept way past the 100,000 mark-and have only had one timing belt break on any car i have owned. It had 120,000 miles on it. Ive had cars that i personally have bought brand new, put 150,000 miles on with the original timing belt still on them, they didnt break.



I cant tell you for certain its not going to happen, but chances are its not going to happen. Bad thing is its a bit like a light bulb going bad, it never really gives you a warning that its going to happen. It just does.
Your probably safe, I havent heard of too many timing belts breaking at 100,000.
I got loads of great opinions here. Thanks. But why would someone call me a punk, Mr. KnowItAll. I'm truly not a punk, just looking for some advice.



One of my friends (sort of) has me terrified to drive my car now that's it has reached 99,500. Is trying to convince me to take a bus or rent cars which is very expensive and may be not necessary.
Unlikely to go but who knows. the problem is that if it goes you've lost an engine.



there is no way of knowing how near it is to collapse but you'll probably / possibly get another 20k.
If I could predict the future I would be rich. I've seen many cars go 200,000 plus with no problem. Also I've seen them break at 40k. All I can say is %26quot;hope that you are the one of the lucky ones%26quot;.
  • parameter order
  • spanish name for boy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment